Earlier this summer we showed you how you could enjoy a carefree lawn with a Husqvarna Automower.Â The automower is a revolution in lawn care which reduces the time, chemicals and care required to maintain a lush lawn.Â Interested in learning more?Â Read on for an interview with Husqvarna’s Automower product manager, Steve Uljua.
- I have been told that customers typically name their Automowers. What is the name of your Automower? Rosie from the Jetsons.
- Who should get an Automower and why? Automower is ideal for anyone who wants got get some time back to do other things they can’t find time for, whether around the house or for fun.
- There are many other auto mowers in the market such as the Robo Scooter by WOLF-Garten, the John Deere Tango, and the Robomow. What sets the Husqvarna Automower apart from its competitors?Â Why should we choose Husqvarna over them? Husqvarna Automower was the world’s very first robotic mower, launched in 1995. The latest models have 20-plus years of innovation incorporated into their design. We hold several patents, like guide wires, that will get the mower back to the charging station faster. Our cutting system incorporates high-tech design features like flail-type blades, not to mention they use less energy and are much safer. Automower also has unique features such as a weather timer, automatic passage handling and the Automower Connect app.
- Did automatic lawnmowers originate with Husqvarna or another company? When was the first Automower put on the market and where? How long have Automowers been around in the U.S.? How many people in the U.S. currently own a Husqvarna Automower? Husqvarna introduced the world’s first robotic lawnmower back in 1995. That first generation Automower was available in Sweden, and we first brought Automower to the U.S. in 1998. In 2016, we launched the newest generation of Automowers in the U.S. As of 2016, approximately 2000 people in the U.S. own a Husqvarna Automower.
- With proper care, what is the projected lifespan of the Automower? We still have Automowers that have been running since 1998, but I would say 10 to 15 years.
- Not all lawns are created equal. Is there an Automower for every lawn, regardless of its size, features and characteristics? Or are there some lawns that just are not ideal for an Automower? Husqvarna Automower is uniquely designed to handle complicated lawns, thanks to features like guide wires and its ability to handle slopes. The three current models – 315, 430X and 450X – are sold based on size of lawn and are capable of handling lawns that are 1/3 acre, 3/4 acre and 1 Â¼ acre, respectively.
- I am sure your product development team is researching ways to improve the Husqvarna all the time. What new features are in the works for future models of the Husqvarna Automower? We are always trying to improve our products. Currently, Husqvarna is testing the use of Automowers for maintaining roundabouts in Sweden. On a global scale, we see robotic mowing as a sustainable solution for homeowners, landscaping professionals and even cities.
- With a price tag starting at $1999.95, the price of an Automower may be out of the reach for many.Â It’s quite a difference in price from a $200 push mower.Â Why is the Automower worth this large investment and will more affordable Automower models be put on the market in the future? Automower may not be for everyone, but everyone wants more time to do the things they enjoy or things they just can’t find time to do. That’s the ultimate benefit of Automower. A lesser machine would not be able to do the typical North American lawn, but we are always trying to improve our product lineup.
- What do you say to your naysayers who look at an Automower and say “How lazy can you be?” It’s not about being lazy, but rather, it’s about having more time to do the things you love to do.
- Is Husqvarna looking to automate other lawn and garden care products and, if so, can you tell us about them? We’re always looking to develop and leverage new technologies for the outdoor power equipment market. Soon, we’ll introduce Husqvarna Fleet Services in the U.S., which will give landscaping professionals the ability to monitor their entire fleet of equipment from a single online portal. We’ve also just recently announced a new lineup of battery-powered bundles for homeowners. Although they’re not automated, these bundles will give homeowners a cost-effective and emissions-free solution to lawn maintenance.